Persons Deported to Bangladesh Will Be Brought Back for Citizenship Verification Before Further Action: Union Government Tells Supreme Court

Thank you for reading this post, don't forget to subscribe!

The Union Government of India informed the Supreme Court of India that certain persons deported to Bangladesh would be brought back for verification of citizenship status before authorities decide further action, following submissions made by Solicitor General Tushar Mehta.

The Union Government told the Supreme Court that it would bring back certain persons deported to Bangladesh and first ascertain their citizenship status before deciding on further action.

During the hearing before a bench comprising Chief Justice of India (CJI) Surya Kant, Justice Joymalya Bagchi, and Justice Vipul Pancholi, Solicitor General of India Tushar Mehta submitted:

“My instructions are, the Government will bring them back, and thereafter will examine their status, and depending on the outcome, will take steps accordingly,”

The Supreme Court was hearing the Union’s petitions challenging directions issued by the Calcutta High Court, which had ordered the repatriation of some Bengali-speaking individuals sent to Bangladesh on suspicion of their citizenship.

When Senior Advocate Sanjay Hegde urged the bench to record the SG’s statement, Mehta clarified that this submission was being made based on the specific facts of the matter and should not be treated as a general precedent.

At its previous hearing in the Union’s appeal, challenging the Calcutta High Court’s September 27, 2025 order directing repatriation, the Supreme Court cautioned against media narratives. It warned that misleading reporting could distort public understanding, noting:

“opinion masquerading as news and half-baked reporting distorted public perception.”

On December 3, the Central Government agreed to bring back a pregnant woman deported earlier this year, along with her eight-year-old son, after the Court emphasized that the situation required a humanitarian approach rather than a purely technical one.

The Court was informed that the deportation had been carried out through official channels and that a judicial order recording the government’s stand was required to enable diplomatic procedures.

In its order, the CJI-led bench recorded that Sunali, who was in an advanced stage of pregnancy, must be provided urgent medical supervision.

After taking note of submissions by Senior Advocates Kapil Sibal (for West Bengal) and Sanjay Hegde (for Sunali), the Court directed that Sunali be permitted to travel to and temporarily stay in Birbhum district, near her close relatives.

The order added,

“The Chief Medical Officer of Birbhum is directed to provide all medical facilities, including delivery-related amenities free of cost. As her eight-year-old child will also accompany her, the child will be provided all assistance,”

The Court also clarified that its direction was limited to humanitarian relief for Sunali and her child and would not affect the Centre’s legal position: it said the order does not prejudice the Centre’s arguments.

The Centre had filed a Special Leave Petition (SLP) against the Calcutta High Court order dated September 26, which directed that six persons deported to Bangladesh in June be brought back and be given full opportunity to establish their Indian citizenship.

The deported group included Sunali, her minor son, and her husband, who reportedly lived in Rohini, Delhi, where she worked as a domestic help.

Case Title: Union of India v. Bodu Sekh

Similar Posts