LawChakra

2014 Defamation Case: Rahul Gandhi Submits New Surety in Bhiwandi Court 

Thank you for reading this post, don't forget to subscribe!

Congress leader Rahul Gandhi appeared before a Bhiwandi court in a 2014 defamation case over remarks on the Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh. Following Shivraj Patil’s death, he appointed Maharashtra Congress chief Harshwardhan Sapkal as new surety.

MUMBAI: Congress leader Rahul Gandhi appeared in a Bhiwandi court, Maharashtra, regarding a defamation case from 2014 linked to his comments about the Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (RSS).

Following the passing of former Union Home Minister Shivraj Patil, who had previously served as his guarantor, Gandhi appointed the party’s Maharashtra chief, Harshwardhan Sapkal, as his new surety. He was joined in court by Sapkal and other senior party officials.

Gandhi’s lawyer, Narayan Iyer said,

“This is a defamation case filed by an RSS worker from Bhiwandi. The original surety, former Home Minister Shivraj Patil, passed away, which is why we had to provide a fresh surety,”

Iyer confirmed that all necessary procedural steps had been completed and reiterated their trust in the judicial system.

He added,

“We have full faith in the Indian judiciary and are confident that justice will prevail. While Gandhi has been granted permanent exemption from personal appearance in future hearings, we will present our defense witnesses at the appropriate time,”

Sapkal argued that Gandhi is facing targeting due to his exposure of the “true face” of the BJP and Prime Minister Narendra Modi.

Sapkal Said,

“He is our leader, and he is here to follow the legal process. It is clear that Rahul Gandhi is being targeted because he revealed the truth about the BJP and PM Modi,”

Factual Backgrounds:

The case originates from a speech delivered by Rahul Gandhi, then the vice-president of the Indian National Congress, on March 6, 2014, at an election rally in Sonale village, near Thane district, Maharashtra.

In that address, Gandhi allegedly stated that “RSS people killed Gandhiji,” connecting the Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (RSS) the ideological backbone of the ruling Bharatiya Janata Party to the assassination of Mahatma Gandhi.

Rajesh Kunte, an RSS member, filed a criminal defamation complaint against Gandhi in a Bhiwandi magistrate’s court, claiming that the statements harmed the reputation of the RSS. Under Indian law, defamation is both a civil and criminal offense as outlined in Sections 499 and 500 of the Indian Penal Code (IPC), carrying potential penalties of up to two years in prison, fines, or both.

The complaint was filed in 2014, and the magistrate’s court in Bhiwandi took cognizance of the matter. Charges were subsequently brought against Gandhi under IPC Sections 499 and 500.

When the trial commenced, Gandhi pleaded not guilty, asserting his right to defend his statements and political speech. In December 2014, he approached the Bombay High Court to quash the defamation proceedings, arguing that his speech was either misquoted or taken out of context.

The High Court declined to dismiss the case in 2015, allowing the proceedings to continue. Gandhi then escalated the issue to the Supreme Court of India, where initial confusion arose regarding whether he had accused the RSS as an organization or merely referred to an individual associated with it.

In late 2016, the Supreme Court rejected his request to quash the case and did not exempt him from personal appearance in the trial court, allowing the trial to proceed. Gandhi chose to confront the trial head-on, refusing to apologize and standing by his remarks. The trial court granted him bail, with sureties from notable individuals.

Over the years, the trial has involved various procedural hearings, evidence submissions, and attempts by both parties to steer the case’s direction.

In July 2024, the Bombay High Court criticized the complainant for causing unnecessary delays and emphasized Gandhi’s right to a swift trial, nullifying a magistrate order that improperly permitted additional late submissions.

On February 21, 2026, Gandhi appeared in court to complete procedural formalities following the death of his previous surety and appointed a new guarantor for his bail bond.

He has been granted permanent exemption from personal appearances in future hearings, while the trial continues. Significant phases such as the cross-examination and re-examination of witnesses for the complainant have reportedly been completed.

As of 2026, the trial remains unresolved, with no conviction, acquittal, or settlement reached, and the matter is still sub judice, meaning it is under judicial consideration without a final judgment.

Exit mobile version