
The Supreme Court of India recently expressed grave concerns over the deteriorating law and order situation in the state of Manipur. The bench, comprising Chief Justice of India (CJI) DY Chandrachud and Justices JB Pardiwala and Manoj Misra, criticized the state police’s inability to effectively investigate the rampant crimes across the state, including sexual offences against women.
CJI Chandrachud remarked;
“State police is incapable of investigation. Absolutely.. There is no law and order left at all,”
The court’s observations came in light of the fact that despite the registration of over 6,000 first information reports (FIRs), very few arrests have been made. The CJI further stated;
“The investigation is so lethargic. No arrests made. Statements being recorded after such lapse of time. This gives an impression that there was no law and breakdown of constitutional machinery. Maybe it is correct that arrest could not be made because police could not enter the locality.. but even then there was complete breakdown of law and order,”
Solicitor General Tushar Mehta, representing the government, argued that the situation on the ground has to be considered. He assured the court that the situation was returning to normalcy. He submitted;
“Situation is now coming back to normal and that is why we ordered CBI probe and said that let this court monitor it,”
However, the court questioned the effectiveness of the police force, asking,
“In 6,000 FIRs you have made 7 arrests?” The Solicitor General responded, “7 arrests is only in the 11 FIRs.. There is no lethargy. What is being said here will have repercussions.”
The bench was hearing a batch of pleas filed regarding the outbreak of violence in Manipur, including a plea by two women from the Kuki-Zomi community who were seen in a video being paraded naked and molested by a mob of men. The women later approached the apex court seeking a probe by a special investigation team (SIT) into the incident.
The Supreme Court also registered a suo motu case after the video of the horrific incident went viral on social media, triggering outrage. When the matter was heard previously, the Supreme Court had contemplated the formation of a committee of retired woman judges to probe into incidents of sexual violence against women in Manipur.
The Court had also sought details from the State and the Central government about the 6,000 first information reports claimed to have been registered in connection with the violence in the State. During the hearing, the government furnished details of many of the FIRs registered, including the FIR in relation to the two women who were paraded nude. The Court, after hearing the parties, directed that the Director General of Police of Manipur be personally present before the Court on August 4.
