Actor Rajpal Yadav surrendered before Tihar Jail authorities after the Delhi High Court refused to extend the deadline in multiple cheque bounce cases. The court said no special treatment can be given and cited repeated non-compliance with payment undertakings.

New Delhi: Bollywood actor Rajpal Yadav surrendered before the jail authorities at Tihar Jail in Delhi on Thursday after the Delhi High Court refused to give him any relief in multiple cheque-bounce cases. The actor had earlier requested the court to extend the deadline given to him for surrender, but the court declined his request.
According to the media, Rajpal Yadav surrendered before the jail authorities at around 4 pm on Thursday. A jail source told the media,
“He surrendered before the jail authorities at 4 pm on Thursday. Now the jail authorities will follow the standard operating procedure.”
A day earlier, on Wednesday, the Delhi High Court had clearly refused to extend the time granted to the actor to surrender. Rajpal Yadav’s lawyer had informed the court that his client had managed to arrange Rs 50 lakh and requested one more week to make the remaining payment to the complainant. However, the High Court did not accept this request.
Earlier, on February 2, the High Court had directed Rajpal Yadav to surrender before the jail authorities by 4 pm on Wednesday. When the actor sought more time, the court firmly rejected the plea and made it clear that no special treatment could be given.
While refusing the extension, the court observed,
“This Court cannot be expected to show or create special circumstances for any person merely because such a person belongs to a particular background or industry. Leniency, though sometimes necessary, cannot be extended endlessly, especially when it is met with continued non-compliance.”
The case against Rajpal Yadav relates to a complaint filed by Murali Projects Pvt Ltd against the actor and his wife. The complaint alleges that several cheques issued by them had bounced and that they failed to repay the amount due to the company.
In 2018, a magisterial court in Delhi convicted Rajpal Yadav and his wife in the cheque-bounce cases and sentenced the actor to six months of imprisonment. This conviction was later upheld by a sessions court in 2019. The Yadavs then challenged the conviction before the Delhi High Court.
In June 2024, the Delhi High Court temporarily suspended the conviction and advised the actor to take “sincere and genuine measures” to explore the possibility of reaching an amicable settlement with the complainant.
However, the court later noted that Rajpal Yadav had repeatedly violated the undertakings given to the court to repay the amount.
Due to his continued failure to honour the commitments made before the court, the High Court on February 2 directed him to surrender, leading to his eventual surrender before the Tihar Jail authorities on Thursday.
Case Title:
Rajpal Naurang Yadav & Anr v. M/s Murli Projects Pvt Ltd & Anr
Click Here to Read Previous Reports on Rajpal Yadav